Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Stealing an idea from JF

(Notice:  Frank sex talk ahead.)

Yesterday, JF wrote a great blog post considering what kind of lover his is.  Be sure to check out his list.  Then consider applying for the position of his lover, because I'm convinced he's going to make some guy damn lucky.

I want to springboard off of JF's list and consider not what kind of a lover I am, but what I'm looking for right now in terms of a relationship.  It's something that's changed over the years, and I think it'll continue to change as I grow and change.

Of course, growing up, I wanted the perfect lifelong relationship.  In reality, I still want that someday.  It's just a much more long term goal.  But in my teens (okay, back then I thought I wanted all that with a girl because that's what I was taught I was supposed to want) and twenties, it's all I would consider.  Every relationship I considered, even every potential date, was filtered through the mindset of "Is this the one???"

In many ways, I think that was harmful to me and my attempts to build friendships and relationships.  It became a sort of desperation that I suspect drove more than one guy away.

After that, I went through what I jokingly (to some friends' amusement) refer to as "my slut phase."  At that point, I was tired of trying for romance and getting incredibly hurt.  I wanted to just go out and have sex.  And I did.  I hooked up.  I met guys out and we went back to one of our places.  I even arranged to meet at one of our places without first meeting in public.  It was a fun time and I certainly enjoyed the sex.

Eventually though, I began to miss the emotional connection and intimacy.  I also started getting the sense that I was more than just an ass for the other guy to stick his cock into, which left me unhappy.  I didn't need to be the other guys "one and only love," but I wanted to matter as a person rather than being seen as an interchangeable part or the latest masturbatory aid.

So now I'm looking for that middle ground.  I want that relationship where I get along with a guy, we have a great time together -- both in and out of the bedroom -- and just seem to mesh well.  I want a relationship where we can talk, plan, work out differences where possible and accept them where it's not possible.  And yeah, if it lasts till death do us part, that's great.  But if it just lasts a couple of months while making them fantastic and enjoyable months, I'm good with that too.

4 comments:

  1. Just wondering: so where do you place me on the relationship spectrum you described? Do you think I'm too naive?

    (only the truth will be accepted as an answer ;) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really can't place you at this point. I've gathered that you certainly aren't looking for anonymous sex or random partners. I think you want something more emotionally intimate than that. I'm not sure if you're looking for "the one that you'll have forever" or "something good that you'll explore and see how long it lasts" or what.

      I also really don't like that word naive. (I probably dislike it only slightly less than I like the word "promiscuous.") My motto tends to be that I'm figuring out what I want and what I believe works best for me. Others need to figure that out for themselves as well, and I'm perfectly open to the likelihood that they may find answers that differ from my own. After all, they're not me. (Which is probably good for them and the world. I'm not sure the world could survive multiple copies of me.)

      Delete
    2. Fair enough :) I think that I'll try stuff to begin with. I'm not looking for the fairy tale!

      And I like your motto!

      Delete
  2. Simba: What's a motto?

    Timon: Nothing! What's a motto with you?!

    Sorry, it's one of those days.

    ReplyDelete