Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentine's Day for the Single Guy

So today is Valentine's Day.  I've decided that I'm going to do my best and celebrate it.  I'm gong to even enjoy it.  It's not going to be easy, as I'm single and it seems like everyone everywhere is telling me (and everyone else) that this is a holiday for couples.  Truth be told, I'd rather be celebrating it with someone special.  But since I don't have someone special at the moment, that's not an option.  So my choices are to not celebrate it or celebrate it alone.  I'm choosing that second option.

This is how I'm wearing red today.  I
don't look as sexy as the model, though.
I've never really hated Valentine's Day because I'm single, like some single seem to.  Yeah, I've been sad about being single when the holiday rolls around -- I think I've been single for more than seven eighths of the years I've been around for them[1].  But my singleness is not the day's fault.  Besides, I don't see how being a Debbie Downer or Bitter Betty is going change my singleness, though I can certainly see how it could prolong it.

But I haven't really celebrated and enjoyed the holiday in the past.  I've decided that's going to change this year.  After all, Valentine's Day is about love, and I have a great deal of passion and respect for love.  I also have a great capacity for love, and that in itself deserves to be celebrated and cherished.  I don't know what I'll do to celebrate.  Maybe I'll just get a special bottle of wine and have a couple glasses at home after work.  Maybe I'll watch one of the relationship-oriented movies that I adore.  Maybe I'll do something else.  I have all day to decide.  But I am hereby committing to doing something to celebrate the great ideal of love and my capacity to share love.  And maybe I'll offer up a prayer to cupid that he help me find someone in the coming months that I can share that love with next February.

Happy Valentine's Day, dear readers.

[1]What's more frustrating is that during the years when I haven't been single, circumstances usually prevented me from spending Valentine's Day with my boyfriend at the time, anyway.

2 comments:

  1. "But I am hereby committing to doing something to celebrate the great ideal of love and my capacity to share love."

    Wow, what a nice attitude. Whatever you decide to do to celebrate the ideal and your capacity to share love, you certainly put some big smiles on our faces! Happy Valentine's Day. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Matt and Brad. That means a lot. And welcome to my blog!

    ReplyDelete