Monday, February 11, 2013

Writer Talk

Saturday night, I decided to skip going out to any of the bars.  I decided that I would much rather just go straight to the diner I usually go to afterward.  That way, I could take my laptop and work on my writing.  I've often sat there after spending an hour or so at the bar and thinking that it would be good writing time.  Quite frankly, though, I'm not willing to take my laptop to the areas where the bars are and leave it in the car.  I sure don't want to take it into one of the bars with me.  Having it with me during happy hour is one thing, but trying to keep track of it (or lugging it around on my person the whole time) when it's the late night crowd is another thing.

So I sat in my booth for over an hour, working on the novel.  I'm glad that I'm back to working on it and that it seems to be going so well.  After taking a break due to health issues, I was afraid that I had lost the thread of the story or my motivation.  Plus I had hit what I felt might be a bit of a lull in the plot (not that it's an action or suspense story to begin with), and I was concerned things were about to fizzle.  But this weekend, I felt like things started picking up again.  I'm more confident that I'll get a novel out of this yet.  Not sure how publishable it will be, but I'll at least get something worked out.  Besides, there's always the editing phase.

Of course, now that I'm writing (at least at times) at three different public venues:  Home Bar, the diner (which probably needs a code name), and Applebees (which I figure doesn't need a code name because there are hundreds of them).  I've decided I definitely like writing in public.  I think it's an atmosphere thing.  As weird as it probably sounds to most people, my house is just too quiet for me to write there most of the time.  Plus, at home, I have to deal with Hellcat's insistence that she needs attention, no matter what I'm doing at the time.  (I just can't bring myself to lock her out of the room I'm in.)  Oh sure, if I ignore her, she'll eventually settle down and nap, but then I start feeling guilty about ignoring her.

No comments:

Post a Comment