Tuesday, January 29, 2013

When writing projects get away from you.

I don't know if other writers have this problem or not, but every now and then, I start working on a story that just takes on a life of its own and gets away on me.  Most recently, this happened a couple of weeks ago.  I decided to work on another erotic story.  I figured I'd write a story about a guy meeting up with someone for his first time experience.  I meant for it to be a quick and dirty story that I could do in an hour or two and then post online.

That was two weeks and one thousand words ago.  The story's not done.  Something about the set-up, the characters, and everything else really spoke to me.  Suddenly, I found myself caring about it beyond the "throw-away" piece I intended it to be.  I want to make it a somewhat well-crafted (I probably won't polish it, though) story.

I've noticed the same thing about some of the "Writing Quickies" -- what I call the two hundred or so word quick scene I try to do every day -- that I crank out.  I find myself looking at them and thinking, "You know, this would really make a great story if I took the time to expand on it and fill in the gaps."  Which I suppose is the point of these exercises:  To improve my skills and get the creative juices flowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment