Friday, June 29, 2012

Courage

In my last post, I mentioned living courageously.  Whenever I think of courage, I think of a certain quote.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but the judgment that something else is more important than fear.

I first heard that quote as part of the movie "The Princess Diaries" and only found out later that it's a real quote attributed to the otherwise obscure novelist, Ambrose Redmoon.  The moment I heard it, though, I fell in love with the quote, as have many people.  I think it's popular because it let's us know that the fact that we are afraid does not automatically disqualify us from being courageous.  (Indeed, that notion was even the central theme of a relatively recent and popular movie.)

It's a great relief to know that it's okay if I'm afraid.  I don't have to be some stalwart Spartan who knows only the thrill of battle.  I can quake in my boots instead.  All that is required of me is that I grit my teeth, and do what I believe needs to be done, what I believe will be in my best interests, despite the fact that I might need a paper bag to hyperventilate into and a change of pants afterward.  The fact that I did it at all means that I am courageous.

I can feel like this guy
and still act courageously.
Am I nervous about going to the bar on a busy night where I don't know anyone?  That's okay.  I'm allowed to be afraid.  But if I'm serious about meeting other people, I'd be wise -- and courageous -- to do it anyway.  That is more important than my fear and hiding from it.  Am I afraid of rejection?  Absolutely!  And that's okay.  But I don't want to be alone and isolated, so mustering up my courage and reaching out to others, making myself vulnerable, is more important than hiding from that fear.

Truth be told, life is all about risks, and risks are scary.  I think that a person would have to be inhuman in order to be totally unafraid.  But fortunately, we don't have to be ruled by our fear.  We can say, "fears be damned, I'm going to do it anyway and deal with whatever comes, including my fears."

Thank the gods for true courage.  Not the fake "nothing scares me" courage, but authentic "I'm scared shitless, but I'm going to take the plunge anyway" courage.

No comments:

Post a Comment