Saturday, July 14, 2012

Enjoying Pride Weekend

It's the tail end of Pride Week here in my town, and there are more activities going on than there are orgies in a bathhouse.  I've actually skipped all the "official" pride events so far.  I'm debating whether I want to go to the final, big blow-out event that's taking place in one of the local parks tomorrow.  I've gone in years past and it's pretty nice, not to mention a good opportunity to pick up new pride paraphernalia.  But at the same time, I usually go alone and while I certainly run into people there and chat briefly, it gets pretty boring for a lone wanderer rather quickly.

Mind you, I haven't spent the weekend being a hermit.  I spent most of this afternoon at Home Bar, sipping cheap vodka cocktails (vodka and cran, to be precise) and enjoying the burgers and hot dogs that Management and his partner were selling outside.  I spent a few hours going back and forth between having a drink inside and having something to eat outside and talking to the incredibly funny cooks.  Well, cook and server.  It's my understanding that Management shouldn't be allowed to get too close to an open flame.

I'm getting ready to head back to Home Bar now.  I want to go and see the various friends I know will be there, have another hot dog or burger, check out the nice eye candy, enjoy some good music, and possibly catch part of the drag show (though I haven't committed to that yet).  And I'm sure at some point, I'll go for my 30-60 minute long "midnight walk," which has become something of a tradition for me when I go out late at night.  (It's much more pleasant than trying to walk when it's sweltering, like it was this afternoon.)

To me, this seems like a much more pleasant celebration of Pride, spending it with the people I've gotten to know and build relationships with.  There will be plenty of laughs (and raunchy jokes), hugs, and who knows what else.  And unlike tomorrow's event in the park, there's no charge to get in.  I just have to pay for whatever I consume.

No comments:

Post a Comment