Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Drinks with an old friend

Last night, I met an old friend for dinner and drinks.  She comes into town once or twice a year, and we usually manage to go out for drinks one night during her trip.  We have the kind of friendship where we can sit down and catch up on what's going on in each other's lives in a two hour span.  We talk about former friends, relationship adventures, her kids, work, and just about everything else.

She went through the whole saga of Hot Pants with me, and is one of a handful of my friends who actually met him.  In fact, he joined us for the first night of what would become our tradition whenever she was in town.  So naturally, we always speak of him briefly during the conversation.  It's a welcome moment in the conversation, as it gives me another chance to laugh about the whole mess and reaffirm my thankfulness that it's in the past.

This time, we ended up getting a table, as there was no room at the bar.  We had an adorable waiter with an unfortunate (for me, at least) name.  Sadly, I was disappointed when he not only didn't respond favorably to my joking lament that "waiter a la mode" was not listed on the menu, but completely missed it.  Alas, he was adorable and proficient as a server, but not quick-witted.  That gave us quite the laugh.

All in all, it made for a pleasant evening, and one I will cherish until my dear friend's next visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment