Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Sometimes, I just need time to myself.

I've been quiet the last few days.  I decided I needed a few days off to rest up and just take care of myself.  Between becoming emotionally raw over the whole dust-up with the fast food chain that I will not talk about at this time, being worked up over some bullshit responses I got to a recent personal ad, and dealing with a minor exchange with my parents that would have seemed like nothing to me if it wasn't for those first two items, I just decided it was time to withdraw, treat myself to some pampering and nostalgia (I'll get to that when I give my own answer to today's edition of "Get Personal With Me").

I don't want to be
stuck here, but frequent
visits are nice.
For me, withdrawing and focusing on myself is one of the best ways for me to rejuvenate and heal after trying times.  The withdrawal encourages me to focus on self-care rather than getting involved in other people's lives.  (Seriously, giving into my introverted nature on occasion is also one of the best remedies for my codependent tendencies.)  It's a good way to not only remind myself to take care of me first, it's a good way to force myself to do exactly that.

Of course, there's a certain danger in it too.  When alone, I'm also vulnerable to tendencies to fret, stew, and actually make some thing worse in my own head.  Plus, there are those times I get into a funk and wonder why no one has noticed my withdrawal and come to my side to ask me what's going on.  So I do have to be careful that I seek out balance and make sure the withdrawal does not turn into long-term or permanent isolation.  Plus I need to remind myself that if I really do need someone to talk to, it's best if I just come right out and call a friend I know I can trust and say, "Hey, do you have a minute."

But all the same, the quiet time was greatly needed and has left me feeling quite refreshed.  And hopefully, that will mean that posting will resume as normal.


No comments:

Post a Comment